Monday, April 22, 2013

Year C, Easter 4, April 21, 2013

Walk...Don't Run

Year C, Easter 4, April 21, 2013

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing and the explosion of a fertilizer plant near Waco Texas.

John 10:22-30 (NRSV)
(click on the scripture to read it)


I want to talk about Darkness… Not about the scientific sense of the word, but more about our perceptions of darkness and how we react to it.
 
So I ask the question, What is it like to be in darkness?

 
When I think about darkness I realize there are certainly different levels of darkness.
 
Have you ever experienced total darkness, pitch black, that level of darkness that you can’t even see your own hand in front of your face?   I think I experience this level of darkness most often when I move from a really bright moment into sudden darkness; it’s like situational blindness…in one instant, reality seems to disappear.
 
Another level of darkness might be similar to the nighttime under a crescent moon.  It is still really dark, and though you can make out the shapes in front of you, the detail around you is uncertain.
 
Another level of darkness is like when the Sun is starting to come up.  The light breaking over the horizon is different than what the moon reflects.  It seems more pure, and in it we begin to see more clearly, moving beyond that of dark uncertainties.  In the sun we can see the details.
 
This has not been an easy week for anyone.  There are so many people moving through these different levels of darkness.  From the horror of senseless acts of violence, to the devastation of catastrophic accidents, the darkness is among us.  There has been loss of limb and loss of life.  There has been the loss of dreams and the loss of potential.  There has been the loss of innocence and the loss of security.  Some are lost in the pitch blackness, and yet even in the darkness, others are beginning to see clarity in the goodness around them. 
 
This darkness is real and is not only felt from coast to coast, but around the world.  No matter where we sit in darkness, I know the light will overcome our darkness with the rising of the sun.  The Light of the Risen Son brings with it new vision and new life.
 
Psalm 23 gives us the guidance we need to survive darkness in our own lives and begin to truly live into the light of God’s grace. 
 
The version of Psalm 23 we heard today comes from The Book of Common Prayer.  The translation of the Psalms we read in the Prayer Book are not the same translation that we use for the Old and New Testament scriptures in worship.  I can’t even tell you what translation the Prayer Book uses for our Psalms, but I think they are a mesh of a variety of poetic sources.  Most of my reading of the Psalms has been from the Prayer Book, and I think because of this particular translation I have always associated Psalm 23 with funerals. 
 
For me, Psalm 23 is the voice of someone who knows they are about to die, and this psalm is their preparation for its arrival.  The psalmist surely loves God and their faith is strong, even with death on the horizon.
 
This week I was in a study group that used a different translation than the Prayer Book offers…this translation is the same one that our Sunday scriptures come from…the NRSV...the New Revised Standard Version.
 
In hearing Psalm 23 read from the NRSV, it became clear.  For the first time, Psalm 23 was not about death.  For the first time, Psalm 23 was transformed from being the voice of someone preparing for death, into the voice of someone who is preparing for life…preparing for life, and not the afterlife, not “eternal life”, but LIFE… right here and right now.
 
In the Prayer Book, Psalm 23 says, “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” 
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.
 
The NRSV does not use the word death at all, it says, “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me.”  It says, darkest valley. 
 
Though there are time in my life that I could have died, I have never stared death in the face…I have never thought death was on the horizon.  I have always had trouble relating to “the valley of the shadow of death”, but walking through the “darkest valley”,… I’ve been there.  I know that path better than I care to admit…In my own way, I can now relate to the psalmist journey.  I now have a real connection to this Psalm of life.
 
I know each of us has spent some time walking through our own dark valleys.  I believe that some of us are in that darkness right now and in need of a guide to help us find the right path.  
 
When inner darkness falls on me, the instinct of fight or flight kicks in.  Flight is my preferred method of dealing with darkness, though it is not usually the best thing for me.  When I run from my inner darkness what I’m really doing is running deeper into it.  When we run in the darkness we usually get hurt more, and hurt others in the process. 
 
The psalmist knew that running in the darkness was not the way to safety and offers us this wisdom.
 
The translation of Psalm 23 found in the NRSV says this:
“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.  He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.  Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.”
The psalmist’s wisdom comes with this guide.
 
PROFESS… We must profess.  Right from the start the psalmist processes, “The Lord is my Shepherd” They are saying they belong to the Lord and they will follow where the Lord leads them.  They are professing that they have turned their lives over to God and they will listen for God calling their name.
 
REFLECT… We must not simply follow but we must reflect on the right paths in which the Lord has taken us.  We must open our eyes and see the green pastures that surround us and the still waters that restore our souls.
 
RESPOND… When we reflect on the goodness and grace the Lord has given us we must respond without fear and embrace the comfort and security found in the Lord.
 
HOW… The darkness in our lives is real and it often appears without notice. How can we even begin to see if the path under our feet is the right one?   The psalmist gives us instructions.  The psalm tells us to walk and not run.  WALK! DON’T RUN!  When we find ourselves in the darkest valleys we are to walk through them.  If we run, we will be responding without listening to the Lord and we will only run deeper into the darkness.  If we run, we will not be able to listen for the Lord calling our name…calling us where we will find the right path. 
 
When we walk we can see that even in the face of our enemies, God’s gifts are laid before us.  Even in our darkest valleys, God is with us and we are surrounded by good things.  If we choose to look for God’s presence in the midst of darkness you will see a new perspective.  You will see your cup overflowing on the table set before you.
 
But let’s face it…we are human.  No matter how hard we try, there will be times we will forget to walk.  The psalmist has this covered too.  When we forget to walk and take off running, surely God’s goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives; God’s goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives.  Eventually we will stop running, and when we do we will find that God’s love and mercy has been there all along.
 
When darkness falls on us like it did this week, we need time for our eyes to adjust…time for our hearts to adjust.  When it hits with such force we have to decide how we are going to respond…do we walk or do we run?
 
If our response is to run from this week’s senseless acts of violence and catastrophic accidents, we will only get hurt more.  When we run we can’t see clearly and we can’t hear the Holy Spirit in our lives.  What we will find ourselves wrapped up in will be things associated with judgment, hated, vengeance, and hopeless insecurities.  Our running will begin to mold us into the same types of things we are running from.
 
If we choose to walk without fear we will begin to experience things associated with compassion, hope, kindness, mercy, and the security in God’s love.  We will begin to see God in the midst of tragedy, working through loving kindness and mighty acts of courage.  If we walk through the guidance of Psalm 23, we will not only see God’s goodness in the midst of darkness, but we will hear the Good Shepherd calling our names. We will become God’s goodness as we overcome the darkness, being Christ’s light in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment